Our archives hold a wealth of material for local historians, family history researchers and anyone interested in the history of Deal, Walmer and the surrounding area.
- We have family history resources, some of which are not available elsewhere
- A collection of original deeds and related material, (including information extracted from deeds not held by the Museum)
- Maps and plans of Deal, Walmer and the surrounding area
- Information donated by local people
- Collections of research material donated by local historians
- Social, maritime and local heritage, including photographs taken taken by local photographers W H & H Franklin, Harold Chapman and Basil Kidd
- Images in a range of format & media, including watercolours and prints
- A reference library with an extensive collection of books dedicated to the maritime and cultural heritage of the local area
Look up service
We are able to offer a ‘look-up’ service and, where possible, provide digital images of requested items by email.
Requesting a ‘Look-up’
All you need to do is email indicating what you’re looking for…
Requesting a copy or copies
We will send then you any results of your ‘look-up’ and a digital document order form for you to fill in and return.
You should be aware that copies can only be made for research and personal use. We will also send you a copyright declaration form.
Restrictions on copying
There are certain items that can not be copied, owing to their condition or data protection restrictions (GDPR).
Permission to publish
If you wish to publish or reproduce an image or images, online or in any printed publications for non-profit purposes then please contact for permission. For commercial use, please ask us about permission and charges.
The archive is open by appointment only and limited to a maximum of two people per session. To book a research session please email us.