Our archives hold a wealth of material for local historians, family history researchers and anyone interested in the history of Deal, Walmer and the surrounding area.
- We have family history resources, some of which are not available elsewhere
- A collection of original deeds and related material, (including information extracted from deeds not held by the Museum)
- Maps and plans of Deal, Walmer and the surrounding area
- Information donated by local people
- Collections of research material donated by local historians
- Social, maritime and local heritage, including photographs taken taken by local photographers W H & H Franklin, Harold Chapman and Basil Kidd
- Images in a range of format & media, including watercolours and prints
- A reference library with an extensive collection of books dedicated to the maritime and cultural heritage of the local area
Look up service
We are able to offer a ‘look-up’ service and, where possible, provide digital images of requested items by email.
Requesting a copy or copies
We will then send you any results of your ‘look-up’. You can then place your order.
We do not currently charge for a ‘look-up’. We simply ask for a donation that goes towards the preservation, conservation and general care of the archive collections.
Digital copies for personal/educational/non-profit research are charged at £5.00 for the first item of up to 10 pages (sent as images) then £1.00 per page.
Paper copies are calculated on an individual basis, which will include the cost of post and packing.
Restrictions on copying
There are certain items that can not be copied, owing to their condition or data protection restrictions (GDPR).
Permission to publish
If you wish to publish or reproduce an image or images, online or in any printed publications for non-profit purposes then please contact for permission. For commercial use, please ask us about permission and charges.
The archive is open by appointment only and limited to a maximum of two people per session. To book a research session, contact us.
Page updated 13.1.2023